Wigs have become an increasingly popular accessory for individuals looking to experiment with their appearance or address hair loss. Whether you’re seeking a complete transformation, adding a touch of glamour to your everyday look, or simply desiring a convenient solution to hair-related challenges, the question on your mind is likely, “Where can I buy wigs?”
This blog post aims to be your definitive guide in the quest for the perfect wig. We will explore a myriad of options, from physical wig stores to online marketplaces, as well as specialized boutiques catering to various hair types, styles, and budgets. So, whether you’re a seasoned wig connoisseur or a first-time buyer, join us on this journey as we unravel the world of wigs and discover the ideal source for your wig-shopping needs.
Where can I buy a wig?
You can buy wigs from various sources, both in physical stores and online. Here are some options:
Local wig shops and boutiques are great for trying on wigs in person. You can find them by searching online directories or review platforms like Yelp, which provides listings of wig shops in specific locations.
Numerous online stores offer a wide range of wigs. Popular options include Amazon, eBay, and specialized wig stores. StyleCaster also lists some of the best online wig stores.
Beauty Supply Stores
Beauty supply stores are a treasure trove for individuals seeking diverse options to enhance their personal style. Among the wide array of products they offer, wigs stand out as versatile and transformative tools.
If you’re seeking wigs due to medical reasons, cancer centers often have resources for purchasing wigs. For example, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York provides information about where to buy wigs and hairpieces.
Custom Wig Makers
For personalized and unique wigs, consider working with custom wig makers who can create wigs tailored to your preferences.
Where can I buy wigs locally?
You can buy wigs locally from various sources, depending on your location. Here are some options:
- Wig Shops: Local wig shops and boutiques are excellent places to buy wigs. Use online directories like Yelp to find the top-rated wig shops in your area.
- Beauty Supply Stores: Many beauty supply stores offer wigs and hairpieces. Check with your local beauty supply store to see if they carry wigs.
- Medical Centers: If you’re looking for wigs due to medical reasons, such as hair loss from chemotherapy, some medical centers and hospitals have wig boutiques or can provide recommendations for wig sources.
- Salons and Stylists: Some hair salons and stylists offer wig services, including the sale of wigs. Contact local salons to inquire about their wig offerings.
- Specialty Wig Stores: Some cities have specialty wig stores that exclusively sell wigs and related products. These stores often have a wide variety of options.
Where to buy good wigs online?
You can find a wide selection of high-quality wigs from reputable online sources. Here are some popular online stores to buy good wigs:
Vogue Wigs offers a range of wigs and hairpieces from well-known brands like Raquel Welch, Jon Renau, Vivica Fox, and Rene Of Paris.
This online store provides discounts of 30% to 70% off human hair wigs, lace front wigs, and more, featuring styles from brands like Raquel Welch and Jon Renau.
Allure’s Favorite Picks
Allure magazine recommends several places to buy good wigs online, including Sam’s Beauty, Bobbi Boss, Mayvenn Hair, and RPG Show, among others.
Wig Salon offers wigs at 30% off with fast delivery and features name-brand wigs. They have been providing online wig services since 1996.
Wig Warehouse offers a wide selection of high-quality wigs for men, women, and black women’s wigs at unbeatable prices.
Where can I buy cheap wigs?
You can find affordable wigs from a variety of online sources. Here are some options for buying cheap wigs:
Amazon has a wide selection of cheap wigs on sale and clearance. You can explore different styles and brands for budget-friendly options.
WigOutlet.com offers discounts of 30% to 70% off human hair wigs, lace front wigs, and more. You can find styles from popular brands like Raquel Welch and Jon Renau.
Wig Warehouse offers high-quality wigs for men, women, and black women at unbeatable prices. You can browse their collection for affordable wig options.
Other Online Wig Stores
StyleCaster provides a list of underrated online wig stores that offer budget-friendly options. Some of these stores might have sales and discounts on wigs.
How do I buy a wig for the first time?
Buying a wig for the first time can be a personal and sometimes sensitive experience. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you make the right choice:
Determine Your Budget
Decide how much you’re willing to spend on a wig. Wigs come in a wide range of prices, so having a budget in mind will help narrow down your options.
Choose a Wig Type
Wigs come in various types, including synthetic and human hair wigs. Consider your preferences and budget when selecting the type of wig. Human hair wigs are more expensive but offer a natural look and feel. Synthetic wigs are more affordable and require less maintenance.
Select a Wig Style
Determine the wig style that suits your needs. You can choose from various lengths, colors, and styles. It’s a good idea to pick a wig that complements your natural skin tone.
Measure Your Head
Knowing your head size is essential for a comfortable fit. Measure the circumference of your head to find the right wig size. Most wig sellers provide size guides.
Consider Cap Construction
Wigs have different cap constructions, including lace front, full lace, and monofilament. Learn about these options to choose the one that suits your comfort and style preferences.
Research Wig Care
Understand how to care for your chosen wig. Maintenance and washing requirements differ between synthetic and human hair wigs.
Seek Expert Advice
If possible, visit a wig store or consult with a wig specialist. They can offer guidance and help you find the perfect wig for your needs.
Before making a final decision, read reviews and testimonials from other wig buyers to gain insights into the quality and durability of the wig you’re interested in.
Purchase from a Reputable Source
Buy your wig from a trusted and reputable seller or store, either in-person or online.
Try It On
If you can, try on the wig to ensure it fits comfortably and looks how you envisioned.
What kind of wig is best for beginners?
Choosing the right wig as a beginner is crucial for comfort and ease of use. Here are some popular wig options that are best suited for beginners:
Lace Front Wigs
Lace front wigs have a natural-looking hairline because they have a thin lace material at the front that can be trimmed to match your hairline. This makes them a great choice for beginners looking for a realistic appearance. They are available in both synthetic and human hair options.
Synthetic wigs are low-maintenance and budget-friendly. They come pre-styled, so you don’t need to worry about styling. They are an excellent choice for beginners who want an easy and ready-to-wear option.
Wigs with Adjustable Straps
Look for wigs with adjustable straps and combs or clips. These features allow you to secure the wig in place and ensure a comfortable fit.
Monofilament wigs have a breathable cap construction that mimics the appearance of a natural scalp. They provide comfort and a realistic look, making them suitable for beginners.
Bob or Shoulder-Length Wigs
Shorter wigs, like bob or shoulder-length styles, are often easier to manage for beginners. They require less maintenance and are less prone to tangling.
Wigs with Basic Cap Construction
Wigs with basic cap constructions are simple and straightforward. They are easy to put on and wear, making them a good choice for those new to wearing wigs.
Wigs with Natural Colors
Opt for wigs with colors close to your natural hair color. This can make the transition to wearing a wig more seamless.
When choosing a wig, it’s essential to consider factors like your budget, style preference, and lifestyle. As a beginner, it’s a good idea to seek advice from wig experts or consult with a stylist who specializes in wigs to find the best option that suits your needs.
More: Are Wig Caps Reusable?
How much does a proper wig cost?
The cost of a proper wig can vary widely based on various factors, including the type of wig, material, cap construction, and brand. Here’s a general price range to give you an idea of what to expect:
- Synthetic Wigs: Synthetic wigs are usually the most affordable option, ranging from approximately $20 to $100. They are made from synthetic materials like plastic or nylon and come in a wide range of styles and colors.
- Human Hair Wigs: Human hair wigs are more expensive. On average, they can cost anywhere from $100 to $1,000 or more. The quality of the human hair, such as virgin hair, can significantly impact the price.
- Lace Front Wigs: Lace front wigs, which offer a natural-looking hairline, are a popular choice. They can range from $99 to $499, depending on the quality and brand.
- Custom Wigs: Custom-made wigs are the priciest option. These are tailored to your specific preferences and can cost several thousand dollars.
- Cap Construction: The type of cap construction also affects the price. Wigs with more natural-looking and comfortable caps may be at the higher end of the price spectrum.
- Brand: Well-known brands and reputable wig manufacturers may command higher prices for their products.
It’s important to note that the price of a proper wig can vary depending on where you purchase it and any additional features it may have. When considering a wig, it’s recommended to set a budget and research different options to find a wig that suits your needs and preferences.
Is it better to buy a wig at a store or online?
The decision to buy a wig in-store or online depends on your preferences and needs. Here are some pros and cons of both options:
- Try Before You Buy: In-store shopping allows you to try on wigs and assess how they look and feel on you.
- Professional Assistance: Wig store staff can provide expert guidance and advice, helping you find the perfect wig.
- Instant Gratification: You can take your wig home immediately without waiting for shipping.
- Limited Selection: Physical stores may have a more limited selection of wigs compared to online retailers.
- Potentially Higher Prices: In-store wigs might be priced higher due to overhead costs.
- Wide Variety: Online stores offer a vast range of wig styles, types, and price points.
- Convenience: You can shop from the comfort of your home, and online stores are accessible 24/7.
- Lower Prices: Online wigs are often more affordable due to reduced operational costs.
- No In-Person Try-On: You can’t try on wigs before purchasing, which may lead to uncertainties about the fit and style.
- Shipping Time: You’ll need to wait for delivery, which can take a few days or more.
Ultimately, the choice between in-store and online shopping depends on your priorities. If you value trying on wigs and getting personalized assistance, an in-store experience may be more suitable. On the other hand, if you seek a wide selection, affordability, and convenience, online shopping is a great option. It’s essential to weigh the pros and cons based on your specific preferences and comfort level with online purchases.