Thin 4c hair is often considered to be the most difficult hair type to care for. This is because the tightly curled nature of 4c hair makes it more prone to dryness and breakage. However, there are several ways that you can care for your 4c hair to help keep it healthy and thick. In this blog post, we will discuss how to thicken 4c hair.
6 methods to thicken 4c hair
There are several ways to thicken 4c hair. Some of these methods are:
1. Moisturization is the most important
4c hair is the tightest curl pattern and is notoriously difficult to moisturize. If you want to achieve thicker, healthier-looking 4c hair, moisturization is key. The number one cause of dry, brittle hair is a lack of moisture. When the hair is not properly moisturized, it becomes dry and breaks easily. A good moisture routine will help to prevent this by keeping the hair hydrated and preventing breakage. In addition, moisturized 4c hair is less likely to shrink, giving you the appearance of thicker, longer hair. Finally, properly moisturized 4c hair is more manageable and easier to style. So if you want to achieve thicker, healthier-looking 4c hair, start with a good moisture routine.
You have several options to hydrate and moisturize your 4c hair:
- Use a leave-in conditioner: Leave-in conditioners are a great way to hydrate and moisturize your 4c hair. They are lightweight and can be easily applied to damp or dry hair. Leave-in conditioners are typically applied after shampooing and conditioning but before styling.
- Use hair oils: Hair oils are another great way to moisturize and hydrate your 4c hair. Oils help to seal in moisture and protect the hair from damage. Look for oils that are rich in vitamins and essential fatty acids, such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, and olive oil.
- Limit using hot tools: Heat damage is one of the most common causes of dry, brittle hair. If you use hot tools frequently, consider giving your hair a break and air-drying or using heat-free styling methods for a few weeks. Or if you have to use heat, be sure to use a heat protectant product and keep the heat on low.
- Use a store-bought moisturizer for hair: In addition to leave-in conditioners and hair oils, several store-bought moisturizers can be used to hydrate and moisturize your 4c hair. Below are some best store-bought moisturizers for 4c hair:
2. Protein treatment is powerful
Anyone with 4c hair knows it can be challenging to achieve the desired level of thickness and fullness. Often, the hair appears wispy and lacking in volume. Fortunately, protein treatments can help to address this issue by infusing the hair with essential nutrients. Protein-rich products can help to temporarily repair damaged strands, while also increasing the diameter of each strand. As a result, protein treatments can give 4c hair a much-needed boost of fullness and thickness. In addition, regular protein treatments can help to prevent future damage, making the hair more resilient and less likely to breakage. Ultimately, if you are looking for a way to achieve thicker, fuller 4c hair, then protein treatments are a great option to consider.
Below are some best protein treatments for 4c hair on the market:
3. Take care of your scalp, seriously!
It’s obvious to say this but the scalp is where hair growth actually begins so a healthy scalp is a key to having strong and thick hair. Unfortunately, the scalp can often be overlooked in hair care routines. This is especially true for those with 4c hair, as the focus is often on the strands rather than the scalp. However, it’s important to remember that the scalp is skin too, and therefore needs to be treated properly. A healthy scalp is a foundation for strong, thick hair so be sure to take care of it!
Here are some tips for keeping your scalp healthy and promoting hair growth:
- Gently massage your scalp with your fingertips daily, ideally before going to bed. This will help to increase blood circulation to the area and promote hair growth.
- Treat dandruff and other scalp conditions promptly. Not only can dandruff be unsightly, but it can also lead to inflammation and irritation of the scalp. This can in turn lead to hair loss.
- The scalp is skin, too. Therefore eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water is essential for keeping it healthy. Some of the best foods for a healthy scalp are leafy green vegetables, fatty fish, and nuts. Especially omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to be beneficial for the skin.
- Nourish your scalp with oil. Oils can help to nourish and moisturize the scalp, promoting a healthy environment for hair growth. Some of the best oils for the scalp include coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, and castor oil.
4. Trim your hair regularly
It may surprise you to know that one of the best ways to achieve thicker 4c hair is to trim it regularly. That’s right, by trimming your hair every 6-8 weeks, you can actually promote fuller, healthier hair growth. How does this work? Well, regular trims help to get rid of damaged, split ends which can weigh down the hair and make it appear thinner. In addition, trims encourage new growth by stimulating the follicles. As a result, you are left with healthy, thick hair that is less prone to breakage. So if you want to achieve thicker 4c hair, be sure to add regular trims to your hair care routine.
5. Avoid tight hairstyles
4c hair is prone to breakage, so it’s important to avoid tight hairstyles that can put unnecessary stress on the strands. Tight hairstyles may look good, but they can actually do more harm than good when it comes to achieving thicker 4c hair. That’s because tight hairstyles can put unnecessary stress on the strands, leading to breakage. In addition, tight hairstyles can also cause scalp irritation which can lead to hair loss. So if you want to achieve thicker 4c hair, it’s best to avoid tight hairstyles altogether. Instead, opt for loose styles that won’t put as much tension on the hair.
6. Use hair growth products
This may be the simplest and straightforward solution but using products that promote hair growth can actually help you achieve thicker 4c hair. Hair growth products can be used in conjunction with other methods to achieve thick, full 4c hair. When used correctly, these products can help to stimulate hair growth and promote a healthy scalp. As a result, you are left with thick, full 4c hair that is less prone to breakage.
There are a number of different hair growth products on the market, so it’s important to do your research and find one that is right for you. Be sure to read reviews and ingredient lists to find a product that is effective and safe for use.
Here are some of the best hair growth products for 4c hair:
This mini guide has provided you with some tips and tricks on how to thicken 4c hair. By following these tips, you can promote healthy hair growth and achieve the thick, full 4c hair of your dreams. So what are you waiting for? Start following these tips today and see the results for yourself!