You can get all the needed information about the most significant beauty device of our era from the two trustworthy and highly efficient persons, first is Roy Geronemus who is the director of Laser and Skin Surgery of New York and the second person is Joshua Zeichner who is the director of cosmetic and clinical research at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
What is the working procedure of Laser?
Single wavelength of light is generated by lasers and only a single pigment absorbs such wavelength of light. Blood vessels, broken capillaries, and red color of acne scars are targeted by some wavelengths. Other wavelengths have different targets like sharpening up the melanin brown-ish type pigment in skin or hair that can be helpful in removing unwanted hair and zapping dark marks. Wrinkles can also be reduced exceedingly well by lasers as skin gets wound precisely by the lasers absorbed by water. These lasers also help in generating new collagen and reduce the visibility of fine lines. (Generally this process is known as skin surfacing)
Know the difference between ablative and non-ablative and also know the meaning of “ablative”
When it is the matter of skin as divergent to, say, according to Latin grammar-when a material is removed with the help of erosive processes, chipping or vaporization then it is considered as ablation. If you look at the non-ablative lasers then they target the deeper tissues of skin, leaving outer layer of the skin alone. It takes usually longer time to heal (3 to 10 days) if you have gone through ablative layer laser treatments. Non-ablative ones take few hours to days for healing.
Fractional laser, what it is?
As you witness no full swipe of paints in Seurat paintings with dots, similarly entire targeted zone is not treated by the fractional lasers. Ultimately, it gives the same kind of outcome and quicker period for healing.
What is the basis of difference between lasers?
You can differentiate lasers on the basis of light wave-lengths generated by them; different types of technologies elements, stones, and metals come in use for creating such variables. Some of the common ones are mentioned underneath:-
- Alexandrite: Red spectrum wavelength is generated by this greenish gemstone that is used for tattoos, excess hair, and blood vessels.
- CO2: Ablative infrared light is generated by this odorless and colorless gas and it can be used for skin resurfacing.
- Erbium: Infrared light is generated by this silvery-grey tough metal that can be used for scars and skin resurfacing.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL): For treating brown pigment and red blood vessels together it can be used by all means.
- ND: YAG: Near infrared light is generated by this crystal and it can be used for tattoos, excess hair, brown pigment, and for blood vessels.
- Pulsed Dye: Yellow beam of light is generated by it and it can be used for scars, redness, and blood vessels.
- QSwitched: High intensity light beam short pulses are produced by laser with the help of this process and it can be used for tattoos and discoloration.
- Picosecond: High intensity light beam short pulses are produced by laser with the help of this process and it can be used for tattoos and discoloration.
What is the amount of time a laser treatment takes for healing?
It depends on different factors like the severity of your condition, your skin specifics, and what type of treatment you are going through. Generally dark spots start looking normal after the treatment in a week period, treatment for blood vessels may stay red for several hours, and hair removal heals in a few hours. For showing true results lasers for ablative resurfacing take longer time as it may take a week period for healing. Non-ablative treatment heals quickly as it takes a few hours to days.
Does it give you pain?
Not all of them. Numbing cream will be applied by your doctor if you are going for deep resurfacing. Local anesthetic and sometimes sedation is needed in case of ablative lasers. A tequila shot or Tylenol can also be helpful for the purpose.
What will be the cost?
It depends on the types of treatment. Charges may vary from $300 to $2000 per session at Zeichner’s office. $450 to $4000 will be the charged per session if you prefer Geronemus.
Know what will be the best option for you
Laser treatment is effective, but it can’t be a one size fit as different people have different requirements. Speed of light beam is controlled by the doctors directed to your skin and it depends on the specifications of your skin. Success rate largely depends on the doctor’s proficiency with a certain kind of laser. You can also find a good quality and a trustworthy practitioner in your locality as well and then try to take the personalized recommendations based on the factors like your complexion, physiology, skin concerns and your age etc.
Know the difference between in-office and at-home lasers
Slower wavelength light with lower light energy is produced by at-home lasers and they are not effective for treating larger areas. Though, it can be more effective if used with in-office procedures and topical treatments.